About Me

My photo
I call the living, I mourn the dead, I chase the lightning.

Wanderlust -- "a trip, or a need to understand one's very existence,
that starts with the first step of a long journey"

-- Travels and ramblings -- summer of 08 and beyond ---

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Second sighting of Stephen Hawking and Caius Matriculation dinner


I brought a friend to a Tuesday Caius formal hall because Stephen Hawking often comes then. No luck, I told him to try again another week. Next day, I go to formal hall. For once I'm a little early so I'm at the head of the middle table, right by the high table for Master and Fellows, perpendicular to us. Lo and behold, right before Latin Grace is read, Stephen Hawking comes out in his wheelchair with his pretty blonde nurse. He waits for Grace to be said, facing the whole hall and thereby giving us -- especially us at head of the middle table -- an interminable three minutes to stare at him and scrutinize him, his disability, his wheelchair, his laptop, his caretaker...

After dinner, we return to our dorms, but then decide to visit the college bar for a few drinks before going out to a club maybe. When we enter the courtyard we hear people talking about Stephen Hawking in the college bar. I walk in, wondering if he's going to be typing physics to his doctorate students or something... and find one old professor and Hawking sitting in his wheelchair with his blonde nurse... and five other blonde chicks with drinks in a circle. You should have seen the skeptical look on my face. So my friends and I sit in our own circle, wondering what the hell the conversation could be over there. We kind of wanted to go over and say hi to him, but then we thought, er since he can't reply, what are we supposed to do? awkward turtle? dunno o.O so we didn't do anything :P I call my friend from the night before with the news, and he drops what he's doing and runs from over 45 minutes away in hopes that Hawking will still be there. Hawking still is, so him and I have a conversation near the bar, with my back to Hawking so that my friend can talk to me and see Stephen Hawking in person for the first time before his nurse waves Good Night to everyone for him and wheels him away. haha, ridiculous, right? :P

Matriculation dinner is supposed to be one of the nicest dinners we will have in the university - not hard compared to regular hall food. We had drinks with the senior members before dinner (gorgeous antique rooms btw) and talked to the Caius Master briefly - his Chinese is quite good! For dinner we sat in our majors with our Director of Studies, nice evening all together :)

Pictures of us and dinner say it all:





No comments: