About Me

My photo
I call the living, I mourn the dead, I chase the lightning.

Wanderlust -- "a trip, or a need to understand one's very existence,
that starts with the first step of a long journey"

-- Travels and ramblings -- summer of 08 and beyond ---

Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Watching TV

[I wish I had an Iphone so I could blog while traveling, but I can only scribble labouriously on paper my random thoughts/stories to transcribe later to blog.]

I like watching TV in different countries even when I have no idea what they're saying. I like watching what their local programs are like, the commercials, what the local news are -- it's an interesting piece of insight into the country's culture. Some sort of recurring theme or specialty always exists in a country's television. Austria likes to depict its lovely alpine landscapes and music; Italy shows either hot girls or leery old men. The US has lots of car commercials while Europe has lots of tourism ads from other countries. The television also proves how similar and globalized humans are. I watched American human tetris, British Weakest Link, British Family Feud (but more intelligent), several Italian versions of Deal or No Deal (with much hotter Italian girls), Italian Who Wants to Be a Millionaire. And not to mention the countless spin-offs of American Idol.

No comments: