About Me

My photo
I call the living, I mourn the dead, I chase the lightning.

Wanderlust -- "a trip, or a need to understand one's very existence,
that starts with the first step of a long journey"

-- Travels and ramblings -- summer of 08 and beyond ---

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

my Tara

Shanghai is my Tara.

That is the best description I can think of. Shanghai is not just my hometown, my birthplace, my family house... my Tara.

What is it about Shanghai? I left when I was one; I didn't grow up there; I've returned only three times since; yet I have an oddly strong sense of attachment to this city. I love Shanghai.

Upon returning to Shanghai this time, I [like to think] I've grown-up more and, consequently, finally understand:

See, in short, Savannah never had family beyond my parents. Shanghai is my Tara because it is filled with love, so much love and acceptance from my extended family and friends, ones I rarely meet or even barely know. They are so overwhelmingly kind, caring for my every possible need, giving so much praise it makes me blush, supportive in everything for me... that is why Shanghai is my Tara, my safe place of strength and refuge. If Atlanta burned, Vesuvius erupted, the Yangtze flooded, I would steal a horse buggy and escape to Shanghai. If I lose my way, lose my Rhett Butler, I would return to Shanghai.

Sitting at the dinner table in Shanghai, looking around, ignites a special happiness unlike any other, a warmth that could thaw the coldest ugliest frost. Being an only child, (my cousins too, we all come to see each other as siblings) this is my closest to understanding the greatness in having a large immediate family. Shanghai always makes my heart sappy and fuzzy feeling, brimming with love bestowed by others. I am touched beyond words.

1 comment:

Daisy Wang said...

Sorry for stalking your blog occasionally but I really like your writings! Btw I'm a big fan of Rhett Butler too, almost my entire reason for reading 'Gone with the Wind' twice in year 7 (consider the level of english) lol.